POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Warning: Patch objects not allowed in intersection : Re: Warning: Patch objects not allowed in intersection Server Time
3 Aug 2024 12:18:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Warning: Patch objects not allowed in intersection
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 19 Feb 2004 13:42:03
Message: <cjameshuff-C1CF01.13423919022004@news.povray.org>
In article <40345e27@news.povray.org>,
 "Dan P" <dan### [at] yahoocom> wrote:

> Hey, I just saw this commercial where a human body had an ior and I figured
> it must have been a patch. Can you add ior to patches when the inside is not
> well defined?

Using ior only requires that the shape be closed and that it has a
"clean" interior. When doing refracted rays, POV keeps track of
insideness by counting surfaces hit...it enters a sphere the first time
it hits it, and leaves it the second time. A mesh sphere will work
properly. A mesh sphere with holes in it, or with a stray triangle stuck
in the middle, will not render properly, but this is practically
impossible to test, so POV doesn't even try to detect it.

You can't bend a single patch into a shape that's useful for refraction,
but you can construct a shape out of patches that will render properly
with refraction. It won't work properly with some CSG operations, though.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: <chr### [at] tagpovrayorg>
http://tag.povray.org/